Apr 28, 2009

Think-Yell-Run-Fight-Tell

On February 23 I was assaulted and mugged inside of an elevator by a large man. It was 6:30pm, in a well lit and high-traffic parking garage downtown where I frequently parked for work. I fought, gave him what he wanted, and then ran to safety. While I was lucky that the outcome wasn’t much worse, this horrible incident still left a permanent mark on the lens through which I view the world. 


Determined to regain some sense of control and not let this completely shatter my confidence, I began to think about taking a self-defense class. The options were overwhelming and a bit scary, but I was extremely fortunate to have the support (and phenomenal planning skills) of my friend Nikole. She committed to taking a course with me, researched several programs, and summarized them for me to review and decide.


Thousand Waves Martial Arts and Self Defense Center offered the most intriguing program, because it addressed much more than just a physical response to violence. So on the evening of Monday April 6, exactly 6 weeks from the date and time when I was attacked, Nikole and I began our 4-week self defense course.


We learned that as a self defender, you should share your knowledge with others to help reduce violence. So I will summarize here what I learned during these 4 very intense weeks. The overall theme of the class is that self defense has “five fingers”, and when used together those five fingers make a fist, which symbolizes your own power and strength.



Think: this “finger” represents the skill that you use first. This is your own instincts telling you that something is not right. It also stands for walking with confidence and awareness of your surroundings, and knowing about what does and does not make you feel comfortable.


Yell: this is the second skill that you use. On a primary level, it is as simple as using your voice assertively to tell someone that they offended you. It is also about finding your strongest, loudest voice to tell someone NO, STOP, LET GO or BACK OFF! The power in the room when we would do yelling drills was spine-tingling.


Run: this is next, and notice how it comes before “fight.” The center believes that if you can avoid violence, you should. There is nothing wrong with running away to safety. In some cases, like mine, running is just not an option. So if you are trapped, then you must move to the next finger…fight.


Fight: we spent a great deal of time learning many physical moves to help get out of grabs and immobilize an attacker. It was an awesome lesson in power, endurance and hope. We learned that there are so many tools right on your body that can help you defend yourself. In our many drills, Nikole most enjoyed practicing an immobilizing side kick to the knee and I loved taking my hammer fist right to the “attacker's” temple. I anticipate that after a few cocktails we will be eager to show friends and family all of our “new moves.”


Tell: this last “finger” of self defense was why I decided to take this course. The center recognizes the importance of victims speaking up and telling their story to make others aware and reduce the cycles of violence. Telling is an important part of healing and moving on, and that is exactly what I am trying to do.

1 comments:

Laura said...

Kelly, I hadn't known about this! I would love to hear more about the class as well!