Apr 7, 2009

The MCA & Martial Arts

Two times in the last month I have had the following experience: I am sitting somewhere in the city where I have never been, looking around at people who I have never met, and watching something completely new. Both times it caused me to pause and reflect on the possibility that there are hundreds of activities going on throughout the city right at that very moment. I picture the events like little points of light on a city-wide map. Hundreds of active places where people go to learn, to practice a skill, or to be entertained. It is exciting, overwhelming and a bit humbling.


The first of my two new experiences occurred in March at the Museum of Contemporary Art, where I saw Dean & Britta perform alongside the never-before-seen Andy Warhol Screen Tests. My cousin Anthony is the drummer for Dean & Britta, and I watched the band perform in other venues in the past. However, none compared to the intimate setting inside of the MCA with the mesmerizing Warhol films playing in black and white above the band. This was my first time inside of the MCA. I have lived in Chicago for 5 years now, and still not visited every museum in our city. This is something that I hope to change- and actually if it continues to be 30 degrees and gloomy every day this spring, I might be able to accomplish this by June. 

 

The second experience occurred last evening. I began my first night of a 4-week women's self-defense class at Thousand Waves Martial Arts center here in Chicago. This will certainly be a topic in my future blog posts, as I learn more and more from this experience. Upon walking into the front door of the center, I was flooded by a whole new world of martial arts classes for kids and adults of all ages. There was so much activity buzzing inside of the center, and it all had a culture of its own. From the uniforms and belts worn by the students of different levels and practices, to the empowering messages hanging all over the walls, I was once again reminded of the range of art and activity that occurs every day across our city. 


I recognize how easy it is to get caught up in my everyday routine and all of the obligations that accompany it. However when I have moments like these two it reminds me to never stop being curious, exploring and trying new things. The possibilities are far too great to miss.

0 comments: