Aug 11, 2008

The Chicago Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon


On Sunday morning I willingly woke up at 4:30am to go for a run. The Chicago Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon had a 6:30am start time, and I had to figure out a way to trick my body into thinking that it was already noon. It was a beautiful crisp and clear morning, almost fall like, and a perfect day for the race. The last time that I ran this race was August of 2004. I was 4 years younger and in the thick of training for the Chicago Marathon- in better shape than I am today, to say the least. My time in 2004 was 1:58. I would have loved to finish Sunday's race in 2 hours, but apparently you get a few minutes slower as you get older. Unless you are Dara Torres, then you just get faster and stronger as you get older. Hmm, maybe I will be in the best shape of my life at 41 like Dara...but I digress. 


I had a blast running the course with Yoomee. I enjoyed every part of the race, especially the beautiful views along the south side lakefront path. Aside from that sneaky hill at Museum Campus (placed less than .5 mile from the finish- how cruel is that?!), I felt great right through the finish. Chad and Roscoe cheered me in at the finish line and Chicago's very own Bernie from the Biggest Loser 2008 finished just 15 seconds behind me!

My Results!
Bib: 6012
Name: Kellie Fitzgerald
City: Chicago

State: IL

Div: Women 30-34
ChipTime: 2:07:02

3 comments:

Lana said...

Kellie,
I have read every post, and added it to my favorites - I'll check often! This last post made me MISS Chicago even mor than I do, although the South it beautiful! And the Google post was terrific; I love the tip on checking the status of a flight. Talk later...

Anonymous said...

Did you see this note? The course was longer than 13.1! Love the blog. Cheers, Alexis

*To all participants: It has come to our attention that the 2008
course was incorrectly certified. Athletes' paces have been adjusted
to reflect the actual course distance of 13.2762. Finishing times have not been changed.

Unknown said...

Great job Kellie