Jul 29, 2009

Rest In Beast

Today we bid farewell to a dear member of our family. Our 1995 Toyota 4-runner (Limited Edition, Chad insists that I add), The Beast.

We decided to take advantage of the Cash for Clunkers program and recycle The Beast in exchange for $4500 cash towards a new car. A stellar deal considering that we would be hard pressed to get $500 for The Beast otherwise. However, it is bittersweet because it feels a bit like we are putting an old pet to sleep. The Cash for Clunkers program mandates that when an old vehicle is turned in, the parts of the car can be stripped but the engine block must be rendered inoperable (insert ominous music here). DriveOn.com warns softies like me, “the program rules lay out various ghastly means to accomplish that. Don't look. It will only break your heart.”

Sure, The Beast had no air conditioning, no antenna, a missing volume knob, a broken driver’s side mirror, a busted off gas door, rusted back and side paneling, and a license plate attached with zip ties (thanks to Andrew’s innovation!). However it had more personality and character than any other car that I ever drove, and I will miss it.

I loved driving a car that so dramatically contradicted with my personal style and femininity. There was something very fun about climbing up into a rusted out SUV wearing 4” Jimmy Choos and a dress. I embraced the irony, I knew that we didn’t look like we should be together, but I didn’t care. I didn’t care what others thought when the temperature would dip below 30 degrees and The Beast would scream (literally) in protest. Hell, I hate when it is that cold too, we should all be allowed to scream that way until we warm up! I didn’t care what others thought when I would come barreling around the corner of our alley and accidentally clip the dumpster. The dumpster was the one that needed to be worried. I loved piling my family, my dog, my friends (and even my entire team once!) into that car and always having a memorable ride.

So while our new car will smell good and be cool (literally and figuratively) and quiet and ride smoothly- it won’t have a name or a personality. We will treat it well and welcome it into our family, but The Beast will always have an extra special place in our hearts.

2 comments:

Marc Jacobs said...

This is a said day, not only for the Fitzgerald's, but for all mankind...

happy girl said...

I cannot stop laughing